What is the “Masters Tournament”?
The Masters tournament popularly known as ‘The Masters’ is a professional golf tournament usually held every year. It is one of the four championships of professional golf sport, others including PGA Championship, U.S. Open and The Open championship. The tournament, unlike the others, is normally hosted at the same venue every year; Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.
The history of The Masters Tournament points back to Bobby Jones. The private course of Augusta found in the southern part of the U.S.A was built by former Amateur champion Bobby Jones and entrepreneur Clifford Roberts in 1934. It was Jones’ idea to start a tournament of the sport he dearly loved. He wanted to leave behind a legacy after his retirement from the game.
Jones approached Roberts whom he had met a couple times before and shared with him the idea. They decided on the venue as the Augusta grounds which was a nursery plantation then. This was because it provided suitable grounds for the luxurious sport. Jones hired Alister Mackenzie to assist in designing the grounds and the work began in 1931. Mackenzie however died in 1934 prior to the first Masters Tournament. The two founders, Jones and Roberts later differed on the name of the tournament with Jones proposing ‘The Masters’ while Roberts ‘Augusta National Invitation Tournament’. The latter was picked until five years later in 1939 when Jones changed it to his own ‘the Masters Tournament’.
Main events of Master Tournament 2019.
The Masters Tournament 2019 will commence on Monday, April 8th with three days of practice rounds. These days will also include other minor events and traditional activities. Four days of tournament plays follow between Thursday of 11th April and Sunday 14th April. The tournament schedule is as follows:
April 8, Monday: 1st day of practice round.April 9th, Tuesday: 2nd day of practice round. Champions dinner April 10th, Wednesday: 3rd day of practice round Par-3 contest April 11th, Thursday: 1st round of The Masters 36- hole cutApril 13th, Saturday: 3rd round of The Masters April 14th, Sunday: 4th round and the last day of the Masters. Green jacket and trophy presentation ceremonies are held.
There are a number of ways for golfers to qualify to play in the Masters tournament. To be specific, eighteen qualifying criteria are chosen. Moreover, the Masters committee can willingly invite international players who did not meet the requirements to participate in the tournament. The above mentioned criteria are as follows:
1. Winners of the previously held Masters tournament.
2. Winners of the five previously held British Opens.
3. Winners of the five previously held U.S. Opens.
4. Winners of the three previously held Players Championships.
5. Winners of the five previously held PGA Championships.
6. Winner and runners up of the previously held U.S. Amateur Championships.
7. Winner of the previously held U.S. Mid Amateur Championship.
8. Winner of the previously held British Amateur Championship
9. Winner of the previously held Latin America Amateur Championship
10. Winner of the previously held Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship
11. The first twelve finishers of the previous year’s U.S. Open, ties included.
12. The first twelve finishers of the previous year’s Players Championship
13. The first twelve finishers of the previous year’s British Open ties included
14. The first twelve finishers of the previous year’s PGA Championship, ties included
15. Winners of the PGA tours events which award full FedEx cup points between the periods of the previous Masters to the current Master Tournament.
16. All the golfers who qualified for the tour championship in the previous year.
17. The top 50 golfers courtesy of the Official World Ranking in the previous year.
18. The top 50 golfers courtesy of the Official World Ranking during the week before beginning of the current Masters.
19. International invitees.
1. Pre-tournament events.The Master tournament began competition for youthful golfers in 2013. The event is known as ‘Drive, chip and putt.’ This was after the Augusta National entered into partnership with the governing bodies, USGA and the PGA of America. The competition was started in a bid to promote golf among the youths and also sharpen their golfing skills. The competition is divided into different age groups with winners advancing to the national finals. The finals are usually held at Augusta National grounds on the Sunday preceding The Masters. The competition’s driving and chipping portions are usually held on the practice range of the course. The putting portion however is played on the 18th hole of the course. Another pre-tournament event of the Masters is the women’s championship. This is a new tournament that will begin in 2019 as announced by the National chairman Fred Ridley on the 4th of April 2018. The first two rounds of the tournament will be hosted at the Retreat Club in Evans, Georgia. The last two rounds will be held at the Augusta National. The final round of the women’s championship will be held on the 6th of April prior to the beginning of the Masters. The event has been started to boost women’s prominence in the golfing sport.
2. PAR-3 Contest.The Par-3 contest is played on Wednesday, the day before the Masters tournament commences. The par-3 course was first played in 1960, two years after the course was built in 1958. It is a nine hole course which contains a par of 27 measuring 970 M, Who is eligible for the par-3 contest? You may ask. The Par-3 contest is only played by winners of the previous Master tournaments regardless of whether they are participating in the current year’s Masters or not. Other people who qualify for this tournament are those who are in the field actively participating in the tournament. Earlier, the Augusta National could invite anyone they wished, to participate in the tournament. This included National members of the Augusta, golfers who weren’t lucky enough to win the tournament and occasionally prominent business people. The board however came with new rules that scrambled this privilege away from the Augusta National. An interesting fact is that no golfer has ever won the par-3 contest and Masters simultaneously (in the same year). This pattern has led to the term ‘Masters Jinx’ given to it. Many champs of the par-3 have however won the Masters in other years.
3. Player invitations. Winning the Masters comes with privileges, on top of the prestige of course. Winners automatically qualify to play in the other major tournaments for five years consecutively. On top of that, winners also receive invitation to The Players Championship and free membership for the PGA Tour for five consecutive years. Amateur golfers are also not left behind. They are awarded in the honor of the founder, Bobby Jones, who was an amateur tournaments across the globe are invited. The amateur golfers are accommodated at The Crow;s Nest, a historic place at the Augusta. Though not very luxurious, The Crow’s Nest is filled with pictures of past tournaments and winners. An interesting fact about The Crow’s Nest is that eight of its previous occupants went on and won the Augusta later.
4. Opening tee shot. Just like other sports, golf plays tribute to its legendary champs. This is done through the opening tee shot. It features one or more (usually three) of the biggest names in golf who carry on with the honorary tradition. The first golfers to carry on with this tradition were Jock Hutchinson and Fred McLeod. This was between 1963 and 1973. Hutchinson’s health later deteriorated preventing him from swinging a club. McLeod partook the responsibility solo till his demise in 1976. Next in line after the duo were Byron Nelson and Gone Sarazen from 1981, Sam Snead joined them in 1984 and they carried on with the honors till 1999 during the death of Sarazen. Nelson later stopped in 2001 due to health problems. Snead carried on solo till 2002 when he hit last opening shot a month before his death. Next in line was Arnold Palmer who took the honors in 2007, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player joined him respectively. Palmer deserted the honors in March 2016 due to health problems and later died in 2017. The 2017 opening ceremony paid tribute to him. The green jacket that he wore while still alive was placed over an empty chair in his honor. Everyone present also wore an Armie’s badge.
5. Champions dinner. The champions dinner is usually held on Thursday evenings of each Masters. Previous winners of the tournament who are members of an absolute club get together at the dinner. The main purpose of the rendezvous is to welcome the champ of the previous winners to the exclusive club, The Masters Club. The defending champion and new member of the club is usually responsible for selecting the menu. Not forgetting that he is also the one to pay for it. It should however be noted that members of the club aren’t strictly required to eat from the chosen menu. If the food is not to their liking, they are allowed to choose from the National Club’s menu. This usually comprises chicken, steaks and fish meals.
Notable meals among others that have been served in the Champions dinner include:Danny Willet, 2017 who ordered a traditional British cuisine comprising mini cottage pies and a Sunday roast, Apple crumble and vanilla custard were served for dessert. Finally coffer and tea with biscuits plus wines were served.Jordan Spieth, 2016 who ordered for Texas barbecue and local greens salad for the main dish. On the sides were baked beans barbecue, bacon and grilled zucchini. Vanilla ice cream and chocolate chip cookie were served for dessert.In 2013, Bubba Watson ordered grilled chicken breast, mashed potatoes, cheese, corn, macaroni and bread dishes. Vanilla ice cream and confetti cakes were served for dessert.Pil Mickelson, 2011 ordered Spanish seafood of paella, machango and fillet mignon salad, asparagus and tortillas were also inclusive. Ice cream was served for dessert.Tiger woods, 1998 ordered French fries, cheese burgers and chicken sandwiches. Milkshake was served for dessert.
6. Caddies.A caddie is a person who carries the golfer’s bag and clubs during the game. He goes everywhere with the player providing the necessary equipment when required. Most importantly, the caddie provides the player with expertise opinions and moral support. A good caddie is one who is experienced in the game, know’s the game’s strategies, possible challenges to be encountered and their possible solutions. Earlier on, The Augusta National provided its players with caddies. As tradition dictated, these were African American men. This tradition was however forgotten in 1983 when golfers were allowed to bring along their own caddies. All caddies in the tournament wear similar uniforms. This usually comprises a long sleeved jumpsuit that is white in color. The suit contains the tournament’s logo on the right chest and players names on the back. On top of that he caddies also wear green caps with white tennis shoes. The caddie of the defending champion usually receives the number 1. Other contestants are given their caddies in order of their registration to the tournament.
7. Other traditions. On the last day of the tournament, scholars and students from The University of St. Andrews get an opportunity to play some golf. They play a four ball round on the golf course. They get the privilege of being the last people to play on the grounds before renovations to bring the grounds back to pre-tournament standards begin.
How to apply for the Master lottery 2019. Tickets for the prestigious tournament are usually limited. It is therefore usually a race against deadline date and ticket availability. Only the lucky few are eventually chosen. The deadline for the application of the 2019 Masters Tournament was on the 1st of June 2018. The procedure for the application was a simple one. The first step was visiting the official website for the lottery purchase.The applicants needed to open a new account in order to proceed. For those who had applied for the tickets in the previous years, you simply needed to log in to your existing account. There were various options offered for the ticket preferences while filling out the application form. The applicants were however limited to four tickets for the practice rounds and two tickets for the tournament rounds. The winners of the tickets were announced on July 5th 2018, beginning with the tournament round winners followed by practice round winners. Confirmation emails were also sent to the respective winners.
How to watch the Masters tournament live. Thrilled fans of the golf tournament who don’t have the privilege of attending the games should not be worried. You are able to watch the games at the comfort of your sofa. There are a number of TV channels broadcasting the Masters 2019 live for both paid and live streams through the Masters 2019 Live stream. The CBS have owned the broadcasting rights since the tournament’s beginning and have been joined by ESPN. Viewers now have a number of channels to choose from: CBS, CBS Sports, ESPN.
1. Live stream free Fans are able to stream the tournament free right from the first day of play. This is through the official site of the Masters http://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html There is also coverage for practice and other activities.
2. Paid stream A number of paid streaming are also available. Different TV Providers offer this service. Some of these providers are listed below: fuboTv. fuboTv offers four different bundles options to pick from: fubo going at $44.90 monthly and $39.99 for the first month, fuboExtra going for $49,99 monthly and $44.99 for the first month, fubo Latino going for $17.99 and finally fubo Portuguese going for $19.99 monthly. fubo TV does not contain ESPN channels. fuboTv offers their subscribers an opportunity to record the events. The TV provider offers up to 30 hours storage space, though there is an upgrade at a fee.
Sling TV. Sling TV provides its subscribers with 3 bundles options to choose from: Orange going at $25 per month, Blue at $25 monthly and Orange + Blue at $40 monthly. Sling TV provides 50 hours of storage space at a fee of $5 per month. There are however no CBS Channels with only ESPN available. You Tube TV You Tube TV offers only one bundle with its subscription going at $40 per month. A 7 days free trial is also provided. You Tube TV provides all channels from both CBS and ESPN. In addition, they offer their customers with unlimited storage space. DirecTv Now This service provider offers its customers with 5 bundle options to choose from: Live a Little going at $40 per month, Just Right going at $55 per month, Go Big going at $65 per month, Gotta Have It going at $75 per month and the Spanish Todo y Mas going at $45 per month, DirecTv offers shows from both CBS and ESPN channels. A thumbs down to the subscribers, however, is that they only offer 20 hours of recording storage.
3. TV Rights (worldwide) The official broadcaster of the tournament is CBS since the beginning as earlier out. Other TV providers are ESPN and USA Network. Rights for the USA Network was however revoked in 2007 and their contract terminated. The CBS contract by the Augusta National is usually renewed every year.
4. Live stream with Reddit. Reddit, An American social website now offers live streams to the Masters. Links to the tournament are shared with content users with conversations and interactions with the fans also taking place. In order to access the tournament through Reddit, fans have to create a free Reddit account and sign in.
5.. Game 2019 tickets. The ticket prices for the 2019 tournament are $115 and $75 for the tournament round tickets and practice round tickets respectively. The deadline for application however already expired. The tickets are bought from the Masters’ official website.
6. When and where will it be held. The Masters tournament will be held at the Augusta National Golf club as usual from Monday April 8th. The tournament will run through till the 14th on Sunday.
7. Live stream using a VPNVirtual Private Network (VPN) helps in protecting the privacy of the Internet users while they are online. In addition, it also allows them to broadcast and stream the Masters while abroad, something that classic cables are unable to do. The VPN hides the user’s IP address and provides them with a new one that matches their current location. In order to enjoy VPN services, the following steps are followed:Install VPN on your device and ensure that it is running. Sign in to your account. Choose a server based in the US and click the ‘connect’ button located on the app.Search for your desirable channel and you are ready to go.
7.1 ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN is a VPN service provider located in Britain. It is currently the best ranked at number 1 worldwide. To stream the masters through ExpressVPN, subscribers have to download the app on their devices. Afterwards you create your own account and sign in. Choose an US IP Address with over 20 options available. You can now stream the tournament live from the providers you desire, CBS or ESPN.
7.2 IPVanish IPVanish is located in the US. Just like ExpressVPN, one needs to create an account and sign in. The IP addresses are those of the US and you don’t need to search for them, just connect to the fastest one. It provides streaming for both CBS and ESPN. This VPN provider is however easier for subscribers located in USA.
7.3 NordVPN NordVPN is located in Panama. The country has no restrictions on data usage. To stream the tournament, subscribers, after signing into an account are required to choose from the available IP Addresses and they are ready to go.
8. The Masters Tournament Live On Social Media. Lovers of social media are not left out as fans can stream the tournament live through different social media platforms. These include:
8.1 YouTube You Tube now offers all tournaments live. In addition, all the tournaments, right from 1968 are now available on the official Masters YouTube channel.
8.2 Facebook The Masters also offer live stream on Facebook. This is through their official Facebook page, Masters Tournament.
8.3 Twitter Twitter has partnered with two of the biggest pro-gaming organisations to live stream sports including the prestigious Masters tournament. These organisations are ESL and Dreamhack.
8.4 Reddit Reddit allows fans of the golf sport share their views and interact with each other at the same time while on the platform.
Final words For all golfers fans, the Master tournament provides all golfing fun from the best of golfers worldwide. Don’t be left out. If you’re unable to access the tickets, Live stream the event right from your computer device. Do not miss out on the fun.